Tuesday 19 March 2013

Friends are the family we choose :)


Going to do something different with this post and start with a quote and that is;
Blood is thicker than water. It’s quite a common saying, meaning basically that the relationship between you and your family is stronger than any relationship you have with your friends. If your in a predicament and don’t know whether to side with what your family is saying or a friend, this saying encourages you to pick family over them every time because your ‘blood related’. I have to say I could not disagree more with it.
I don’t know what inspired me to write about this, it just popped into my head the other day and I got thinking about it. Before you go thinking I have an awful family or that I have issues with them, I don’t. Just need to clarify that one. But I suppose I’m not as close with my family as other people are, everybody is different though.
Literally blood is thicker than water, but if I’m being honest I have relatives that don’t know half as much about me as my friends do so therefore I’m just not one of them people who can put family first all the time. That may make me sound like a terrible person, if it does sorry but it’s the truth. Its not that I like my family any less, but my friends are also just as important to me.
 
First off let me just say that I have amazing friends, I really really do. Im not just being biast either, because I know the kind of friendships I have don’t come around often, and everyday I thank my lucky stars I have them. Wow, this might be a cheese fest- so sorry haha! A friend to me is someone who you can be completely 100 percent yourself infront of, someone who can make you smile on the shittiest of days, someone who can make you literally sore for laughing and well, you get the idea. The things I’ve got up to with friends have been some of my best memories, and it makes me sad to think of anyone who doesn’t have friends because I would literally not know what to do without mine.
In the past, Ive had some particularly difficult problems, some of which are still with me today and I never told any of my family about it. I think I knew they wouldn’t really understand and would look at me differently so to this day they don’t know what went on. However, my friends were there from day 1 and the amount of support I got from them still amazes me today. They knew the ins and outs and they didn’t run a mile when Im sure I must have been pretty difficult to be around. They were always there at the end of the phone, coming up to see me, making sure I wasn’t on my own and most importantly, helping me to forget. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them, Im positive of that.
I can count on 10 fingers the friends I have that I consider good friends, always have a laugh with, can talk about anything with and love to spend time with. I can count on 5 the friends that have been there when it really mattered, have such great friendships with and I love to bits. I can count on just one finger the friend that I completely trust with anything, who I would be just lost without and is the bestest and most rare friendship I have ever been in. I’d say we were like sisters, but I've never had a sister and I’d be tempted to say we were even closer than that!
So you may be able to see why I cannot rank friends below family, as they all make me smile on a daily basis, whether it be from a random, funny, inside joke text or almost getting run over whilst running to find a toilet with me haha (yes that has happened). Some have gone completly out of their way to do something things for me so I always try and do the same back. I can be incredibly defensive over them too because if you hurt them, you annoy me and I'll come after you and go all liamneesonintaken on your ass! haha! So, to conclude my little post about friendship I’ll leave you with another quote, one of which I prefer.
Blood is thicker than water, but without water you can’t survive.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment